Today The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change has reported that unprecedented and. dangerous changes in sea levels are being driven by global heating, and predicts that extreme sea level events that used to occur once a century will strike every year on many coasts by 2050, regardless of whether climate heating emissions are curbed or not. Changes will force millions of people to migrate away from coastal communities, and cost trillions of pounds.
This matters to us as Christians, not just because of the impact on the poorest communities, but also because the harm being done to God’s creation that Genesis tells us he has given us the responsibility as stewards to care for the earth. The Anglican Communion (worldwide family of Anglican Churches) includes this duty in its 5 marks of mission.
The mission of the Church is the mission of Christ:
- To proclaim the Good News of the Kingdom.
- To teach, baptise and nurture new believers.
- To respond to human need by loving service.
- To transform unjust structures of society, to challenge violence of every kind and pursue peace and reconciliation.
- To strive to safeguard the integrity of creation, and sustain and renew the life of the earth.
And Jesus said ‘For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him may not perish but may have eternal life.’ John 3.16.
Please consider prayerfully how we are to respond, as individuals and as a church.
With Every Blessing,